It seems that our hosting provider's colo provider is completely incompetent. We're now on our third downtime in one week and have made the obvious decision to move to another colocation facility. I'm sorry about all the downtime and inconveniences. My hosting provider (Tech Co-op) tells me they will try and move us into a new colo some time next week. In the mean time, I'm terribly sorry to have to provide such an unreliable service and hope the users will bear with us until we have this resolved.